Project Name: UCL Anatomy
Location: Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT
Principal Consultants: Parsons Brinckerhoff, Levitt Bernstein, Potter Raper, AECOM, Fowler Martin
Project Duration: 54 weeks
Initially the works consisted of asbestos refurbishment, demolition survey and removal of asbestos containing materials prior to the main works commencing.
Three phases of works comprising; the conversion of laboratories to form new offices, comprehensive strengthening of the buildings main columns and conversion of the existing offices and store rooms to form new fully serviced laboratories, were then undertaken. Works included:
- Removal and reconfiguration of internal walls and services
- Installation of suspended ceilings and lighting
- Refit of furnishings and decoration
- Window refurbishment and installation of secondary glazing
- Conversion into plant and equipment room for specialist facilities
- Associated M&E works
- Installation of new security systems
- Construction of new steel framed, clad plant platform structure
- Diversion of steam pipes.
Additional works included the supply and installation of a temporary room within the existing Anatomy building.
The first phase of works consisted of two stages itself to facilitate new offices for the finance team and head of faculties. Following which we converted three old laboratories into general offices. Exposing the buildings support columns internally necessitated asbestos removal and diversion of services, including steam pipes. The final phase included formation of a new high technology laboratory, with support services and additional office space.