Kicking off 2020 with an overview of what Logan Construction has achieved throughout a busy and successful 2019.
Our ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 were once again successfully renewed, illustrating our commitment to providing continuous improvement and excellent service. We also successfully transitioned from 18001 to the new ISO45001 Standard.
Underpinning this ISO certification was our continued CHAS accreditation and Construction line Gold membership.
Our ability to continually achieve best practice was again evident in 2019, exemplified by several illustrious awards we were shorted for. Notably, we were delighted to be a Finalist in the South East Kent Expo Awards – Best Construction Contractor category.
Other awards included:-
- Building Better Healthcare Awards – Stokes Urology Centre – Highly Commended
- RICS South Awards – Community Benefit Category – Stokes Urology Centre – Finalist
Moreover, we were also extremely proud to receive a Bronze Award at the Considerate Constructors Scheme National Site Awards for our UCL Quantum Hub project. This site achieved the highest CCS score that Logan had ever received. Winning a National Site Award is an exceptional achievement and recognises our continued commitment to actioning best practice.
Our brand is at the heart of the company … and along with our people … it’s our most valuable asset.
We were delighted this year to launch our new website – www.loganconstruction.co.uk. Illustrated through a clean and crisp design; it delivers a clear message of who we are, what we do and our wealth of company experience.
Bolstering our new website is a robust suite of new company brochures. Available in electronic and hard copy, these focus on the Healthcare, Education, Higher Education and Commercial sectors that we actively work in.
Time has also been spent on reviewing and implementing company brand guidelines to ensure we continually communicate in a consistent way across all teams and channels.
Frameworks continue to account for a growing proportion of public sector construction spending. Being on a framework allows us to develop continuous long-term relationships with clients and increases our chance of being awarded valuable business opportunities. Throughout 2019, we have enjoyed outstanding success in the following strongly contested frameworks:-
- London Construction Programme – five year framework
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine – seven year framework
- Fusion 21 – four year framework
- Crown Commercial Services – seven year framework
- Pagabo Major Works – four year framework
Fundraising / Charitable Work
Synergising with our core values of integrity, collaboration and passion, we continually strive to engage with the local community. Our endeavours this past year included:-
- Three years sponsorship of the Guy’s, Kings & St Thomas football team
- Headline Sponsors for the Polly Parrot Charity Ball organised by the Basildon & Thurrock Hospitals Charitable Trust – raising over £9,000
- Match Day Sponsor for Charlton Athletic FC – home match against Doncaster League 1 Play Off Semi-Finals
- Match Day Sponsor at Wembley Stadium – Charlton –v- Sunderland League 1 Play Off Finals
Our chosen charity for 2019 was The Lighthouse Club. This Charity provides vital support for the construction industry and we are proud that the money earned from our fundraising will help them in their endeavours. Thanks to our staff’s efforts, we donated over £500 in 2019.
We also took part in the Christmas Jumper Day, which raised £100 for Save the Children fund and allowed our staff to look fab-yule-ous for the day.
During 2019 we held a very successful client event, hosted at the Madison, which provided a valuable platform to strengthen relationships with some of our most important contacts.
We took the opportunity to strategically raise our profile within the South-East and exhibited at both the SE Construction Expo and the Headmasters Conference. These events provided a great opportunity to promote our brand, grow our subcontractor database and generate leads targeted towards raising our education portfolio.
New Staff and Team Building
Throughout 2019 we extended a very warm welcome to 14 new members of staff to complement our growing team.
Our fantastic Staff Communications Day on The Thames provided a great opportunity to get all staff together, catch up on the company’s news and plans for the future and give everyone the chance to get to know one another outside of the work environment.
Other staff events throughout the year included a company golf day, a crazy golf day, several Christmas get-togethers and a few hotly contested bowling evenings.
As part of our commitment to provide our staff with a happy and healthy workplace, we implemented a Mental Health Awareness programme. This comprised the appointment of two Mental Health Champions, introducing awareness training courses and the promotion of support networks for all our workers. At our Maidstone offices, we have also created a new staff break out area, with new kitchen and facilities, seating/relaxing areas, pool table and dart board.
Every year we think ‘that’s the busiest one yet’. Well 2019 was no exception and we are now taking stock of another busy year delivering challenging projects to tight deadlines. Project completions for 2019 include:-
- Basildon & Thurrock NHS Trust – modernisation of existing department to create new Interventional Radiology Unit – £1,600,000
- Orpington Health & Wellbeing Centre – complex fit out to provide a new health and wellbeing centre – £3,000,000
- Cromer Road Primary School – two stage D&B project for the construction of a new, bespoke teaching block – £2,600,000
- Sir Roger Manhood School – extensive windows and doors upgrade project – £340,000
- Imperial College London – refurbishment and remodelling of redundant offices to form a new Digital Learning Hub – £450,000
- Guy’s and St Thomas NHS Trust – refurbishment of existing areas to create new Hand Trauma Unit – £1,200,000 and a Critical Research Facility – £1,600,000
- Royal Free London NHS Trust – full refurbishment of existing ward to form a new 27 bed inpatients ward and adjacent pharmacy area – £2,200,000
- Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust – refurbishment project delivered within a live A&E environment – £5,500,000
- Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust – multi-phased refurbishment project to provide a new digital x-ray suite – £860,000
Logan Construction remain certain of our future. Our business plan, business model and market approach continues to generate a steady stream of contract wins. Significantly, our brand value is exemplified through repeat business from some of our most valued clients. Contract wins throughout 2019 include:-
- University College London – five refurbishment and upgrade projects ranging from £670,000 to £1,370,000
- Imperial College London – three projects ranging from £530,000 to £820,000
- Guys & St Thomas NHS Trust – two projects ranging from £475,000 to £600,000
- Wrotham Academy – construction of a new steel frame sports hall – £1,700,000
- Brunel University – fire damage refurbishment project – £1,800,000
- London School of Economics – three phase project for the refurbishment of teaching, offices and laboratory spaces – £2,600,000
- Royal Free Hospital – MRI replacement works – £2,450,000
- Bart’s NHS Trust – Mile End Hospital – alterations and refurbishment works to create new diagnostics hub – £3,500,000
- Rochester Grammar School – construction of new four court sports hall with fitness suite and two storey art block – £3,500,000
Heading into 2020, our brand remains strong, with some exciting projects in the pipeline and we look forward to sharing our success story with you as Logan Construction continues its mission ‘to be the Contractor of choice, trusted to safely deliver value and quality to exceed our Clients expectations’.